Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kicking Ms. Clairol to the Curb

I am throwing in the towel, waving the white flag, (or in this case the grey), and kicking Ms. Clairol to the curb! The time has come to surrender to the will of Mother Nature and let my hair go grey. There comes a time in everyone’s life, when they must start to embrace the person they’ve become, and wave goodbye to the futile attempts to hang on to their youth.  My time has come. 
Oh I resisted! I would go to the hairdressers every time my coif was looking a tad skunkish. Once there I would sit for hours, as I was “double processed”, highlighted, low lighted, color rinsed and tinted. This was no inexpensive venture, time or cash wise! Sadly I began to realize that my accessories were not matching up.  They say you should match your shoes to your purse.  Well my personal accessories were definitely out of sync. My dark “Color Me Luxurious Chestnut” locks were clashing with the turkey gobbler that has replaced my neck.  I didn’t have crow’s feet, I was sporting hawk claws. Dark hair coupled with a pale, pasty complexion might have been great if I was going for the Goth look, but at 50+, it just doesn’t work.
I went through a number of stages, before coming to this decision. First I decided to dye it myself, but after having to call in Service Pro to clean up the resulting dye destruction in my bathroom, I ruled that out. Then I tried Root Touch –Up. I laid a few paint tarps down, and touched up the grey roots framing my face. Sadly, I was oblivious to the back of my head, which was sprouting grey fluff like Mt. St. Helens! My children kindly pointed this out for me.
My husband is sporting a number of grey hairs too, but in his case, it serves to make him look distinguished, worldly, intelligent, and handsome. That was not the case for me. 
Originally I had visions of my white locks ala Elizabeth Taylor. Maybe even the look Meryl Streep sported in “The Devil Wears Prada”…………….


That didn’t happen.
Well ok, I would even accept a “Bride of Frankenstein” look.  Let’s face it, her silvery streaks are rocking!

No dice………

You see, not only does the hair color change, but the texture changes as well. Grey, or shall I say silver, hair gets brillo-ish. That is about 10 steps up on the frizz-o-meter scale. I have very curly hair to begin with, so the resulting hairdo runs about three times the size of my head. That is not counting high humidity days, when my hair can actually block out the sun, and frighten small children.

The truth be told, I am beginning to resemble Phil Spector, minus the glasses, money, and murder conviction!

2 comments:

  1. DON'T DO IT.......50 ISH is way too young to be all gray.....you will look 60ish in no time. do what I did....I slowly lightened my hair from black to mediumish brown. it's more flattering on the pale skin.........i still go to the salon. I clean my own house, I eat out almost never but I ONLY TRUST THE SALON to color my hair!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grey works very well for my sisters, one who is 44 and one who is 50--I'm 46. I tried it and it aged me terribly! It isn't for everyone. In my family we started with the grey at 16--we are pale and Irish.

    ReplyDelete